Key volunteer application
Key volunteers help fulfill critical leadership and management roles throughout race weekend. Becoming a key volunteer is a great opportunity for people looking to translate their experience, enthusiasm and passion into a high-level commitment to the event. Applicants must have previous volunteer experience with a large road-racing event.
About the inaugural event
The inaugural Bank of America Chicago 13.1 will take participants on a tour of the historic parks and boulevards of Chicago’s West Side. Represent your community and support your neighbors as they take on 13.1 miles!
- Are enthusiastic and dedicated individuals who want to gain more experience with the Bank of America Chicago 13.1.
- Help manage, lead and instruct groups of volunteers, often in conjunction with a team of fellow key volunteers and event staff.
- Commit additional time to the event for pre-race meetings and race weekend set-up as needed.
- Assist with race operations, processes and organization. Some key volunteers do not manage other groups of volunteers.
- Have previous volunteer experience with the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle, Bank of America Chicago Marathon or another major racing event.
Training & availability
Key volunteers assigned to Packet Pick-up or race day must complete training and be available on the following dates:
- Virtual training materials will be shared prior to the event. The purpose of training is to prepare key volunteers for their roles and to share public and personal safety information. Key volunteers are expected to review the provided training materials and contact their area manager with questions.
- Bank of America Chicago 13.1 – Garfield Park
- Saturday, June 4: Walk-through (applies to some positions)
- Sunday, June 5: Shifts begin as early as 4 a.m. and last 6 to 8 hours.
Visit the key volunteer roles page to review descriptions of each key volunteer role.
In order to gain an understanding of the expectations set forth for all event volunteers, please review the volunteer policies before applying.
New applicants and returning applicants requesting different role assignments will receive a phone call to further discuss their interest in the event, their relevant experience and where their talents can best be utilized race weekend. All applicants will be assigned based on event needs, qualifications, experience and availability and assignments may differ from historical placement for returning key volunteers. Please note that the number of applicants often exceeds the number of key volunteer roles available.
If a general volunteer role better suits your schedule, please visit the volunteer information page to view opportunities and register.
In order to provide assignments and training before the event, the deadline to apply as a key volunteer is Friday, May 20, 2022.