Volunteer group leaders
We can’t wait for your volunteer group to join us at the inaugural Bank of America Chicago 13.1. This event will come alive with the support of hundreds of individual volunteers and volunteer groups, coordinated by committed and enthusiastic group leaders like you.
About the event
The Bank of America Chicago 13.1 will take place on Sunday, June 4. The course will weave through the historic parks and boulevards of the West Side, starting and finishing in Garfield Park.
Group leader responsibilities
- Communicate clearly with your group about the specifics of the volunteer role.
- Recruit your volunteer group. The age minimum for group volunteers is 14 years of age. One adult chaperone is required for every 10 volunteers under the age of 18 to ensure sufficient supervision. Chaperones must, without exception, be 21 years of age or older, and they must register online with their group.
- Monitor individual registration of your volunteer group members.
- Group leaders are expected to register the number of volunteers committed in their group leader application.
- Stay until the assignment is complete and your volunteer group has fulfilled their role honestly. If you cannot commit to the full shift time, please contact the Volunteer Team to look into different volunteer opportunities.
Group leader application
Please review the steps below on how to complete the group leader application:
Step 1: Review the volunteer policies.
Step 2: Follow the link below to begin the group leader application.
Step 3: Within the group leader application, indicate your group’s size. You must have at least 10 volunteers to form a group. If you are seeking a donation, your group must check in at least 20 volunteers to your assignment. Please inform the Volunteer Team as soon as possible if your estimated group size changes as the Volunteer Team gives your group an assignment based off this number.
Step 4: Select your groups assignment preference. Please note that assignments are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. If the assignment you receive is different from your indicated preference, your preference has been filled.
Step 5: Be sure to include any time restrictions your group may have within the application so the Volunteer Team can place your group accordingly. If you cannot commit to the full shift time assigned to you, please contact the Volunteer Team to request an accommodation.
Step 6: Wait approximately one week to receive your group assignment via email. This will include registration instructions for your group. When you receive your group assignment, reply to the email so the Volunteer Team knows you received your assignment.
Step 7: Share your registration link with your group members! Group leaders do NOT need to register through this link. Please inform the Volunteer Team as soon as possible if your estimated group size changes as the Volunteer Team gives your group an assignment based off of the number shared in your application.
Step 8: The registration link will be available until all of the requested slots are filled or at the registration deadline on Sunday, May 28 at 11:59 p.m. Central Time.
Volunteer group donations
We understand the time and effort involved in coordinating a group of volunteers. We would like to recognize qualifying groups with a modest donation. More information and required forms will be available after the event.
- The group must be a non-profit group, club or organization.
- The group must be able to present a W-9 completed for the organization or fiscal agent with a tax identification number.
- Group must check in 20 or more volunteers on race day and/or at Packet Pick-up.
Paperwork must be submitted by the established deadline. After the event, the Volunteer Team will contact all group leaders with qualification status, required paperwork and the established deadline. Group donations start at $300 and go up from there based on the group size. Groups can also earn donation bonuses if they meet the following criteria:
- $50 bonus to qualifying groups that participate in shifts that begin prior to 5 a.m.
- $75 bonus to qualifying groups that participate in more than one event during race weekend (i.e., Expo/Packet-Pick-up and race day).
- $100 bonus to qualifying groups that participate in a shift over 6 hours long
- $100 bonus to qualifying groups that participate at the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle in addition to the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. Please note the bonus will be included in Bank of America Chicago Marathon donations.
- $100 bonus to qualifying groups that participate at the Bank of America Chicago 13.1 in addition to the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. Please note the bonus will be included in Bank of America Chicago Marathon donations.