Key volunteer roles
Key volunteers play a critical role in the success of the Bank of America Chicago 13.1, as their enthusiasm, support and dedication help make race weekend a memorable experience for thousands of participants and volunteers. Thank you for your interest in becoming a key volunteer!
Descriptions of each key volunteer role are listed below.
Race day key volunteers are stationed in or near Garfield Park on Sunday, June 4.
- Finish line key volunteers will work with other operations staff to manage volunteers at the finish line to ensure continuous participant flow and efficient distribution of materials. They will also assist with the set-up and clean-up of their respective stations.
- Gear check key volunteers oversee general volunteers and operations of the three gear check tents, where they will keep gear organized, volunteers on task and help with any long queuing or missing items.
- Volunteer check-in key volunteers help manage operations and the volunteer check-in process, ensuring that general volunteers depart prepared and ready to tackle their tasks.
- Information team key volunteers will oversee teams of volunteers in designated zones within the event’s Garfield Park site plan, where they will be responsible for answering event-related questions and directing participants and spectators to their key destinations.
- Information tents are stationed throughout Garfield Park and staffed with a pair of key volunteers who help answer event-related questions and direct eager participants and spectators to key destinations.
- Start hydration key volunteers will supervise a group of volunteers and oversee the setup and clean-up of a start hydration station where water and Nuun Hydration are distributed to participants before the start of the race.
- Start line key volunteers will oversee start corral volunteers and operations, providing instructions and management throughout the morning to help keep participants organized as they advance to the start.
- Sustainability key volunteers work with general volunteers in high traffic areas to educate participants on items that can be recycled, composted or donated. The Bank of America Chicago 13.1 takes event sustainability seriously.
- Open to opportunities – Key volunteers who are flexible and open to roles anywhere as need demands are highly sought after and always appreciated. Individuals without preference to an area could be placed on any of the teams mentioned above.
Key volunteer application
Return to the key volunteer application page to learn more and to apply.